Sunday, August 7, 2011

Game Design goes Bye-bye

When you have played games online, like I have, you'll eventually come to realize that game design is a rather neglected aspect of game creation, at least when it comes to free online games. The majority of online games look like they have been through the meat-grinder prior to being published.
Here are a few examples of popular games, from prominent games sites, and the design is nothing short of abominable.



Finding such games on major games sites baffles me each and every time. Does anyone actually play these things...?
A game on AddictingGames called "Youre Toast" (no, there is no apostrophe in the title) has had 7 thousand likes on Facebook and almost 3 million game plays on the site itself. The game is not only ugly, but also beyond dumb and yet thousands, nay..millions of players just don't care.
So game design doesn't matter, game play doesn't matter, what the heck matters?
The gore factor?
Because there are plenty of such games.... here is one:

In case you are wondering, that "thing" in the middle, towards the bottom of the screenshot is the game hero, impaled on a pointy thing, with blood spraying in all directions. 
I just had to get this off my chest, so thanks for listening/reading. It's frustrating for me, because I love a good game, but having to sift through as much trash as there is out there ends up being more work than play, or rather a complete waste of time.

8 comments:

  1. "One person's trash is another person's treasure."? There are pieces of "modern art" that look like nothing more than colorful droppings of paint on a canvas that are worth thousands, if not millions, that I personally can't understand either... How does it go...? There is no accounting for taste?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take a brief moment to consider the people who actually register domains that contain the words "dumb" and "games", therefore targeting whom? The dumb player of course!
    And guess what. They come!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The blog is quite awesome that has provided me the best knowledge. online poker real money

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have enjoyed reading your articles. It is well written. It looks like you spend a large amount of
    time and Playing online game. I am appreciating your effort. You can visit my site.
    free online games

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to play online games and I agree that game design plays an important role as it is the main source that attract gamers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You must fill in the rest of the word to get points and more time

    Hidden letters games

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm quite interesting site! I really like that thing; I want you to post some more things on that. judi bola online

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are thousands of games online, and some of the top sites include https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Gnation

    ReplyDelete